Wednesday, July 11, 2012

1 year 1 month

Today I checked something I've been excited about for a while.

You see, we moved into a new city, into a new house, ready to go to a new university, and start a completely new life.  Naturally we were excited and wanted to start new traditions for ourselves.  One tradition that I always wanted to do but never was allowed to do at home was mark my height on the wall.  So right after moving in I marked Isaac's height on the wall.

Throughout the next couple years I'd call Isaac over to mark his progress on the wall. Often he'd scream and cry through the entire thing.  I'd wonder what made him so sad.  I'd ask him and he wouldn't say why and so I'd make him tuff it out, stand there, and let me mark his height as he sobbed.  One day I called him to mark his height and he cried again.  Suddenly it dawned on me.  He was naughty earlier that day and as punishment he had to stand in the corner.  It just so happened that the wall markings were near the corner of the room too.  I tried to explain that he wasn't in trouble. But sometimes you just can't get through to a child's brain, and so I just had him stand there as I marked the wall again.

Isaac has grown so much over these 2 years. He's turning into a funny little toddler/big boy brother to baby Luke.

And now, baby Luke is no longer a baby.  It's hard to quit calling him a baby but even Isaac is starting to correct us that Luke is not a small baby.  Isaac sees babies at church and he sees Ada and people are teaching him to ask us to have another baby.  He likes that idea and tells Amy and me that we need to have a little baby, but not a girl baby.  I want a boy baby he says.  And then the next day he'll change his mind and ask for a girl.

But anyways the point is that Luke is not a baby.  He's repeating so much of what we say too.  Today he was blabbing on and on about the word "no."  I interrupted him saying si si si si si. He smiled at me and started saying si si si si (spanish for yes) right back at me.  Yay his first Spanish word today!

After watching him copy me I looked at him, seeing how good his balance is.  He's all big and walking and standing as if it were nothing.  He's so big. He's so tall. And that's when I remembered the height markings on the wall!

I went with him into the room, (holding him by the hand instead of carrying him, is still a strange thing to do) and we went into the corner where the markings from 2 years of growth is scribbled along in pen on the white paint.

I had Luke stand with his back to the markings and sure enough my guess was dead on!  Luke is exactly the same height that Isaac was back when we first moved into this house.  He's technically 2 months younger than Isaac but he's exactly the same size.  Now there are no gaps between the Luke markings and the Isaac markings.

How exciting!  As I looked above Luke I saw how 2 months would pass by and he'd grow another 2 inches, 3 months would pass and he'd grow another 2 inches, on and on, up and up following Isaac until he'll be as tall as Isaac is now.  But we can't give all our attention to Luke's growth or else we'll miss Isaac zooming by. Who knows where that boy is heading.  Both boys growing.  They grow so fast, it's like when Luke sees Amy across the room with chocolate, he bolts towards her faster than he can barely manage, or like when Isaac runs screaming and stumbling as fast as he can away from the tickle monster.  Both boys, fast as can be, are growing out of control.

And for the moment, they're happy about it.  So happy, they dance.


No comments: