I've been on a search for a decent pediatrician since we moved here 16 months ago. Being on Medicaid, our options are limited. And it seemed as if ALL doctor's that accepted Medicaid were awful in one way or another. I'd stuck with the same doctor since Luke was born, but his 4 month appointment was the last straw. We waited in the waiting room forevvvver! In fact after we'd been there awhile, Aladdin came on. (they had the disney channel playing). It started, had commercials, and ended, and yes we were still in the waiting room. This doctor obviously just packs as many patients into the day as want to come, and it had been bad in the past but not this bad. Besides waiting, she had a super strong accent, where I could barely understand her. And I usually had to repeat things a few times before she understood what I was talking about. So basically not the best for communication. There were other things as well, and enough was enough. I got online, and found a doctor that is a bit farther away, but not bad. Just an extra 7 or 8 minutes, and the reviews were good. So I went yesterday hoping the 4th doc would be the charm. And YES, it was SUCH a better experience. They brought me back before I could even get the paperwork filled out. The nurses were awesome, the place seemed much more organized. And I liked the doctor much more. Luke was his usual happy self, and LOVED crinkling up and ripping the paper they had him sit on. It was basically demolished when we left. When it came time for shots, he was happily sucking on Tigger's nose. First came the oral Rotavirus. He thought that tasted weird. Then came 4 shots. 2 in each leg. Poor baby, my heart aches whenever my kids have to get shots :( Luke didn't care about Tigger anymore, he was just sad. The sadness only lasted a moment though. He recovered within a few minutes. But the worst was yet to come. The doctor wanted his blood to test his hemoglobin. So we went to the lab, and held Luke on my lap, as the Doctor pricked his finger. Luke didn't have a reaction for about a full 5 seconds, then it came. A sad sad cry. Meanwhile, Isaac was standing next to me, very happy it was Luke not him this time. Isaac would give Luke a kiss and say it's ok. After the finger prick, they had to fill up a tiny vial. So she sat and squeezed blood out for what seemed like forever, with Luke getting more and more upset. By the end he was the saddest I'd ever seen him. :( But at least we were finally done!
Right after, I had something at Walmart I needed to pick up. By this time Isaac was SO ready for a nap. And the more tired Isaac gets, the more naughty he gets, and the easier a meltdown comes on. So basically it wasn't the most pleasant trip in the world. I think he had a total of 2 screaming tantrums while in the store, and 1 in the parking lot.We were finally in the checkout line, and I was paying for everything, when I look over to see Luke gagging. Within miliseconds, I noticed 2 baby band-aids at the back of his throat. Luckily not sucked down cutting off his air supply, just sitting perfectly to make him gag. He'd sucked his band-aids right off his finger! I can't believe I forgot to take those off. I swooped them out of his mouth and all was well. So note to self, never leave band-aids on your baby's finger.
By the time we got home, Isaac had got his second wind, and decided he wasn't going to nap. Grrr. I REALLY wanted a nap too. Plus Luke, who is usually a GREAT sleeper, was feeling not so great. Even with Tylenol, he wasn't able to sleep. So we were all a bit tired and grumpy :)
You wouldn't know it by this happy face, but this was right after he got his blood drawn. Cute little guy can be happy even right after being tortured.
You wouldn't know it by this happy face, but this was right after he got his blood drawn. Cute little guy can be happy even right after being tortured.Moving on to a happier note, now that Luke is 6 months, we are trying to teach him how to eat solids, Yay! Our first attempt didn't go too great. He spit everything out that I put in. Yesterday I tried again, and he did a little better.



He still spit about half of it out, but I put it back in. I think I ended up getting more in his stomach then on his shirt at least! I tried again this morning, and he acted like it tasted nasty...and wouldn't eat it again. So maybe we'll branch out to some veggies and see what he thinks of those.To finish off, I'd like to just take a look at the differences in Isaac and Luke.
At 6 months Isaac was 18 lbs 14 oz, 27in high, and 44.5 cm HC.
So Isaac was actually a little bit more chunky, but they are the same height! What's funny is Luke seemed to get bigger faster then Isaac. He zipped through his clothes sizes like no other. Stuff Isaac wore at 5 months, Luke wore at 3. Yet here at 6 months they are so similar, and Isaac was actually bigger. I think it also goes to show how babies come in such different shapes and sizes. :) It's so fun to watch these 2 boys grow and develop!


2 comments:
Manic? I didn't see any signs of Mania my dear. No excess 5-HT or Dopamine anywhere.
I think you've been in school too long :)
Post a Comment