Friday, December 9, 2011

A Scary Moment


So Isaac has truly been trying my patience lately. He has been on a rebelion. It's mostly been little annoying things, like if I tell him to stop, he won't. Then I'll look at him and say, "mommy says no!". And he say, "Me says yes!". He basically just tries to do the opposite of what I say. I've had to take the space heater out of his room because he couldn't handle not playing with the buttons, and not trying to plug it in. So we've also had the talk about how dangerous wall outlets are. He's spent mucho time in time out, had more spankins then I'd like to give. And he'll feel bad and say sorry, then just turn around and go back to doing whatever he can think of to be naughty. I always swore I wouldn't allow such behavior from MY children. But I just don't know what else you can do apart from abuse. At the same time he is the sweetest little boy in the world. Many people think he is perfect, they just haven't seen his secret rebelious side. Sometimes when I've had especially frustrating days with him, I just have to sit back and look at how precious and beautiful he is. So anyways, there's some background to today's story.

This morning I had to iron something, which is a rare occasion. So I pulled out the iron, which we have kept in Isaac's closet for a long time. As I ironed I told Isaac that the Iron is a big no no. And if he touches it, it will burn him. And it will hurt for a long long time. After I was done, I put it away, and closed the closet doors. A couple hours later, I put him down for his nap. He FINALLY fell asleep easily today (another thing he hasn't been doing too great at lately). A couple hours later, I hear a horrified scream from his room. So I walk in with Luke and see a HOT plugged in iron on the ground with Isaac crying next to it! It was sitting face down on the rug. So I hurry and put Luke down, pick the Iron up, then take Isaac to the bathroom with his burned finger. As we held it under cold water, I couldn't see any signs of a burn, so I think he was lucky to not get burned too bad. As time has gone on, I can see a slight burn on his finger though- so I'm sure it hurts. So Isaac is experiencing his first burn of his life. Every few minutes he'll start screaming and crying, but he is fast learning the the baggie with ice in it brings relief. Although it is sad to see him hurt and sad- at the same time it is probably a bit of a blessing that he got burned. If he hadn't of gotten burned, I wouldn't have known he was playing with the iron, and it could have easily started a fire. Instead we just have a melted spot on his cheap rug. So we are even blessed it was on his rug and not carpet. And maybe the burn on his finger will hopefully be a reminder to mind his mommy?

You know, we could also apply this story to our lives. Heavenly Father has given us commandments to protect us. Just as Isaac's young mind couldn't comprehend the consequences to plugging in and playing with a hot iron, we won't always know the "why's". We should trust in our Father in Heaven, and do what he says. Whether we understand or not, we do know that Heavenly Father wants what's best for us, and knows the outcome of all. Isaac's never had a burn before, and hasn't had much experience with being around an iron. We don't have much experience with this thing called Life. This is our first, one and only time here on this earth. We need our Father to tell us what will burn us. If we ignore his warnings, we will end up crying with ice on our wounds.

2 comments:

Dr. Larson said...

When is spanking abuse and when is it instructive discipline?

Jessica Shipp said...

Poor boy! Although i think that really is something you just have to learn for yourself. At least i did!