Saturday, February 18, 2012

Eat yo' greens

I've recently started watching a little boy in the evenings, providing me with a car so that I can pick him up from school. Having a car and a little extra cash made it possible for me to get a gym membership. So the boys have been enjoying the daycare there, while I have been enjoying trying to get myself back in shape! It has been awesome :) What this post is really about though is an awesome new recipe I found. This is dedicated to those who can't get their kids (or themselves) to eat some good green veggies. What prompted me to find this recipe was actually the little boy that I watch. He's a bit on the picky side of things when it comes to eating, and I was researching ways that I could sneak some veggies into his diet. Thats when I came across this smoothie- which tastes amazingly awesome, and has spinach in it. Yes thats right, spinach, and it's good. I'm one that likes spinach in salad form, fresh with dressing on top. But I would've never thought of mixing it with a bunch of fruits. This recipe has also been good for Isaac. Isaac is pretty good at eating what we tell him, but he's never been a salad fan, or green veggie fan. Except for that one random time when he was a baby and enjoyed a whole can of green beans. That was a one time occurrence though..... so anyways, here it is:

The ingredients:
2-3 cups tightly packed baby spinach leaves, washed
1-1/2 cups frozen blueberries
1-1/2 cups frozen strawberries (or other frozen fruit of your choice)
1 ripe banana
1/2 cup favorite yogurt (or more if you want it a little sweeter)
1-2 cups 100% grape juice or orange juice* (depending on how thick/sweet you like it)

Directions: Pack 2-3 cups of washed baby spinach into the bottom of the blender (use the glass cup markings on the side of the blender pitcher for convenience). Add the rest of the ingredients in the order listed.
( Your blender will only be about 2/3 full if you make the recipe as written.
I always make a one and a half batch for my big family.)

Blend for 2-3 minutes until smooth and pureed. You may need to push down and stir the frozen berries occasionally.



Thin with added grape juice or water if desired. Serve immediately. Makes 4-5 servings. Enjoy!




Taken from this website:
http://recipeshoebox.blogspot.com/2010/05/blueberry-and-spinach-smoothie.html

I've only made the recipe cut in half, and it seems to fill my blender 3/4 of the way when blended. So I don't know how well the whole thing would fit. Anyways, I challenge you all to try it, and give your taste-buds (and your body) a reason to thank you. :)

No comments: