Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Isaac's dream come true on the worst night of his life

Warning:  If you are squeamish, and take no joy in gross stories- go back to facebook.  This post is not for you.

Isaac loves movies.  He calls himself a movie boy.  I seriously have to monitor and limit his movie time or else he becomes addicted, and that is all he wants to do.  So what is his dream come true?  To stay up ALL night long watching movies!  He got to do just that a couple nights ago.  Not because he has a crazy nice mommy- but because he had a mommy desperate for sleep.  Under normal circumstances Isaac is a lovely sleeper who is quite obedient.  So even if he isn't sleeping, he knows that night time is time to be in bed.  So why would I need to resort to movies?

A couple of nights ago was Sunday.  It's so nice to have daddy home on Sunday.  We all ate dinner- I'd snacked all day so decided to just eat salad.  The boys had pasta and grapes with their salad.  We put them to bed as we usually do, then went to bed ourselves.  At about midnight, Isaac starts crying.  Brad goes to see what the problem is.  I continue to sleep  :)  about 30 minutes later I realize lights are on, washer is going, and Brad still hasn't come back to bed.  Brad then informs me that Isaac had puked all over.  I got up to give Isaac some love and comfort while Brad finishes up remaking his bed with new sheets.  Isaac seems just fine- we all go back to bed.

Not 20 minutes later, Isaac starts screaming again.  I go in to find puke all over him and all of his new bedding- again.  Another bath, another new set of sheets later I get him back into bed.  This time I'm smart enough to stick a bucket next to him.  He tells me he doesn't want to go to sleep, so I tell him just to lay on his pillow and relax then.  I sing him a song.  Go back to bed.  10 minutes later- Isaac comes walking in saying, "I puked in my bucket."  So I get up, empty his bucket for him.  Put him back to bed.  10 minutes later, he starts screaming again.  I go in- and am relieved to see no new puke.  He just isn't sleeping, and let his imagination run away from himself.  The closet door was open and it was freaking him out.  I close the door.  Go back to bed.  After a couple more times of being called back to his room, I realized that this kid is really not planning on going to sleep.

Movie time!  By this time it was 3 or 4 in the morning.  I wanted to sleep.  A movie was the only way that was going to happen.  So I set him up on the couch with his bucket.  Went back to bed. After that, he puked a tiny bit in his bucket a couple times, and I think I put in another movie after the first ended.  It's all really just a blur.  Long story short- it was a LONG night.  Morning time hits, and I'm still trying to get some sleep, when Luke wakes up.  I hear him screaming in his room.  So I go in to find- you guessed it- puke all over him and his bed.  Another bath, another load of laundry.

Both kids were starved after their heavings, and at breakfast I was surprised to see them eat as much as they usually do.  I was just really hoping I wouldn't be cleaning it off the floor in a short while.  A little while after breakfast, both kids were acting like their normal happy selves.  Not sick- like at all.  It'd been a few hours since a puking episode.  So I thought I'd run to the store with them to get some Gatorade.  Help rehydrate their little bodies.  We went to Target- not 5 minutes into our shopping trip, while walking down the isle, Isaac stops.  He gets that look on his face.  No time to run to the bathroom!  Seconds later he's decorated the isle in orange puke.  I notified an employee (I felt so bad), grabbed the gatorade, and left.  Luke fell asleep on the way home.  I put him down for his nap, put Isaac down for his.   Aw, a break.

Not for long.  Well ok, they did have some decent sized naps.  When Luke woke up, he woke up screaming again.  I go in to find a stinky mess.  This time he decided to explode out the other end though.  His diaper did not do so well of a job in containment, it was all over him, all over his bed.  Another bath, more laundry.  Luke had one more explosive diaper needing a bath about an hour later.  Then he had "contained" explosions for the rest of the night.  Poor guy got diaper rash by bedtime from so much poop.  Isaac had one more mishap, but his also came out the other end.  Finally got the kids to bed, and sighed a sigh of relief.  What a day.  I lost count of how many extra baths and loads of laundry  I did.  At least the carpet stayed clean!

I don't know if they got a stomach bug, or if it was something they ate?  I'd guess it was something they ate just because they were both sick at the same time.  But then Luke woke up this morning with a small fever.  He puked during breakfast, but then went right on eating.  I'm just so thankful I wasn't suffering along with them, made it a bit easier to take care of them.   Poor boys.  In the 3 1/2 years I've been a mom, I've gotten away with not having to clean up puke (except baby puke).  I've now been officially initiated.

ETA: Never mind about the carpet staying clean.  Luke left a nice little surprise for me, that I'm pretty sure he pushed onto the floor.  It'd be a talent to puke through the rails of the crib.  What was I thinking buy PINK gatorade!

No comments: