Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Moving on...

The election is over. I've written my response regarding this about 5 times.  Then I erase it.

So we as a country wanted change. But there's practically no change in the senate, house, and presidency.  Oh well.

The real changes coming in the future are more exciting if I talk about our family personally.  Today is my almost my last day as a 27 year old.  I have been hanging onto my youth very nicely.  I'm still young and beautiful. I can run up and down stairs without running out of breath. I can eat ice cream and steak without gaining a pound. My hair is thick and full with a partial golden shine.  My mind is active and has never been more full of information.  My kids and wife love me and we have everything we could ever wish for.

But there's one problem, that has devastated me.

Last week, I looked in the mirror.

And notice 2 hairs growing out of my right ear.

OH THE HORROR! I am old! I am hideous! Death is at my door!  I am so ashamed! Oh the pain of the end of youth! How frail is life! No one can understand the state of the elderly until it consumes you! It is all become dark.

At least I'm married to a beautiful young lady. Sorry Amy, but you're stuck with an old man, ha ha.

More about me.  I'm finishing up my 6th semester of Optometry school.  There's only 4 more to go, and happily half of those semesters are NOT in school, they're at externship sites outside of Houston.

In case you didn't hear, I'll be in SLC next summer, in Carthage Texas next fall, and then back in Houston at school for spring of 2014.

If you haven't heard about Carthage Texas I recommend watching the movie "Bernie" there's some bad language in the movie but it's really fun to watch knowing we'll be a part of that small town for a few months.

After all that I'll be a doctor. Can you believe it?

Amy is really enjoying our two boys.  Isaac and Luke are ten times more entertaining then they have ever been. Amy has been able to do a little less survival parenting and a little more behavioral parenting as the days go by. She enjoys being a mother but has also been very busy with working with the young women of our ward.  They are a great bunch of girls and Amy loves meeting with them and teaching. It keeps her busy every week and I love watching how much Amy actually cares about them and their personal spiritual progression.  I really have seen a lot of growth from Amy especially since they took her out of serving in the Primary.  And the most impressive surprise of all was the Gandalf costume she made. It's amazingly impressive. Amy managed to create a perfect replica of the costume that Gandalf the grey wore in the movies.  I sort of asked her to help me do it but she took on the project herself and succeeded greater than my best expectations.  I know I'm  a nerd and Amy doesn't disagree but her hard work combined with her previously hidden talents have really convinced me I'm the luckiest husband ever.  I don't know what i could do to even out the score.  Something tells me that maybe a hundred pounds of chocolate might do the trick.

Isaac is a good boy.  He has a lot of energy and certainly would benefit if we only had a safe place for him to go outside and play.  Our backyard no longer has deathly heat and humidity, nor does it have mosquitos that especially love Isaac's blood, but we still and forever will have mean fire ants.  Luke isn't quite big enough to play out in the dangerous ant hills yet and so Amy can't monitor both boys if Isaac is outside, so for the majority of time, Isaac is trapped indoors and has become addicted to movies.  He loves all movies all the time.  He isn't so obsessed with any one thing anymore, sorry Spiderman but you're becoming old.  Isaac spends more than half of his time playing with Luke rather than by himself.  He likes to be with mommy and ask her questions and do what she's doing. He's definitely a mommies boy.  It takes a lot of hard work to get him to admit that he loves daddy too.  Amy's starting to discipline him more, we've decided to switch roles. Since I've been bad cop for the first 3 years, Amy's going to take the job for the next 3. That way Isaac can learn to love me more. If it weren't for his severe speech problem I'd say he's ready to be sent off to school!  He's talked about going to preschool and he's very very excited about it.  It won't be long until we take that first step of letting him out to begin life outside the home!  It's exciting that as I finish up my last year of formal education, Isaac will be begining his!

Luke is no longer a baby.  But we still call him baby Luke.  I dunno how much longer we'll say that but I just can't help it. He's my precious little snuggle boy. While Isaac often hold grudges against me for being punished for his naughty behavior, Luke is always definitely a daddy's boy. When I come home from school or work Luke is definitely the first one to be waiting at the door (or running towards it) as soon as he hears the garage door closing.  I'm always greeted with a very quiet but very energetic "Dadda!" every time I open the door, and if I'm not fast enough to pick him up, he'll quickly coil himself around my leg and bury his face against me with one of the sweetest hugs I've ever had. It NEVER gets old and continues to be the best part of my day.  Luckily Isaac is starting to copy luke some days. It's funny because when Isaac runs up to hug me, he makes sure that Mommy is watching him as if he's putting on a silly show.  Luke is saying a few more words, he's finding that he has preferences with movies and stories.  He definitely loves copying Isaac.  And from what I see with food, Luke has still yet become picky to tastes of food. If he's picky it's due to general distractions and not due to flavor. I can still get him to eat absolutely anything as long as I'm entertaining him and keeping him in a good mood.  My only sorrow is that most family don't know Luke very well at all.

And that wraps up everyone! Or does it?  No no no, we're not pregnant. The optometry school class of 2014 accidently got a wonderful email this week finding out that Amy isn't pregnant. I know that some of you are thinking that we're trying to have another baby and you're wondering if Amy is secretly pregnant, well I'm sorry if you were hoping but we are not secretly having another one.  Amy is open about her hopes to someday have a baby girl. She really really does want one of those, but right now just isn't the right time for it.  So we all get to be content with the two crazy boys that we do have.  We're so happy to have Clarissa and Ada in the family and also all the other new cousins and babys that are coming into the lives of our friends, we're so happy for you guys.
Ok
and the next blog that I do will have pictures.

And for those of you that are still feeling down because of the lack of change in our government, well just be glad that you're not stuck in mordor.  Obama's not as bad as Sauron. Perspective.






No comments: