Sunday, May 6, 2012

San Antonio





This is Amy, With Brad out of school, we decided we should celebrate by going to San Antonio, and Six Flags.  We also went for Isaac's birthday.    We started the trip off on Friday, arriving in San Antonio around 3.  After checking in to our hotel, we decided to go check out the River Walk.  I can now say that the mall connected to the River Walk is my new all time favorite mall!  The River Walk was beautiful, and it was fun seeing downtown San Antonio.  Afterwards we decided to drive up to the temple.  It was fun driving towards the temple, and finally seeing hills and valleys again.  Houston is so flat, you almost forget how much more you can see when there are hills involved.  The temple is placed at the top of a huge hill, with a beautiful view of the land below.  It was such a fun night!  That night Luke was overtired (we didn't try and get him to sleep until 10:30) and had a hard time going to sleep.  It's hard anyways staying in a hotel all in one room, in a weird bed.  After a couple hours, Luke finally got to sleep.  In order to get the cheapest hotel, we were left with a room with only a King size bed.  So Isaac went to sleep with me and Brad.  It was too bad.  I just got kicked and punched a few times throughout the night.  Over all I didn't get the best night's sleep.  At least Luke STAYED asleep til about 6:30.  When Saturday came, it was Six Flags day!!!!  It was so fun seeing Isaac ride a bunch of rides for the first time.  His first ride was a teacup spinny ride.  He loved it.  His second ride was an Airplane ride.  It went around in circles, and if you pushed the button, you'd go up high.  I was with him, and it was fun going up high, until after a couple minutes, Isaac decided it was too scary to be up high.  He made me go back down, and he got SO made at me for pushing the button for a second after that.  From that point on, there was no way of getting that kid on a ride that went up in the air.  After that Brad went on the Kiddie roller coaster with him.  That was a bit too scary for Isaac's tastes as well.  He was a good sport, but he sure didn't want to ride it again.  After a few more calm kiddie rides, I took him on a "rattlesnake rapids" type ride, called the "gully washer" at Six Flags.  He was barely tall enough to ride it.  There were actually quite a few rides he was barely tall enough to ride, but if he couldn't handle the kiddie coaster, there's no way he'd enjoy the bigger rides.  So I took him on the "Gully Washer" prepared with the idea that he may get mad at me for it.  I told him it was a boat ride, and that he'll probably get wet on it.  (This kid can't handle it when he gets water in his eyes in the bathtub).  We got on, and I gave him my sunglasses so that water wouldn't get in them as easily.  By the end of the ride, Isaac had ended up crying a couple times, but I think he was still glad he rode it.  Of course he didn't want to ride that one again either though  :)  I did protect him from most of the water so I ended up really soaked.    Brad and I rode a couple of the big roller coasters.  Luckily they have a parent swap rule there, so we only had to stand in line once for the both of us.   One of the last rides we rode was the Scooby Doo ride.  By this point both kids were grumpy and done.  But they both ended up LOVING the ride.  We were lucky they let Luke on, because technically he's supposed to be able to walk.  Luke enjoyed holding the gun (one of those rides that you shoot stuff).  That ended up being one of my favorite, simply because our whole family got to ride it together.  It'll be so fun when our whole family is big enough to ride all the rides together.  By about 6 o clock our kids had had enough, so we decided to go home.  That evening we went swimming in the hotel pool.  Isaac didn't have any interest in swimming so he just watched us.  By the time we were almost done, he decided he wanted to swim after all, but the water wasn't very warm, and it was cooling down outside too, so I knew he'd hate it.   Maybe next time he'll be more willing to swim with us since he didn't get his chance.  That night, Luke went to sleep much easier.  But then around 2 am, he decided he didn't want to sleep anymore.  I put him in bed with us, and he rolled all around trying to get comfy for a long time.  a couple times he seemed to be asleep, but then he'd start rolling again.  Isaac was a champ, and slept through all his whining, and rolling (even though Luke was basically rolling all over him, as he was in the middle.  All this time, I couldn't really sleep, or else Luke would roll off the bed.  It also didn't help that one of our neighboring hotel residents was just getting home and slamming their door open and shut, shouting at each other, then blasting their TV for a couple hours  Luke slept off and on until around 6, then he was done trying to sleep.  So not the most restful night.  I have no idea how some parents can co-sleep with their children on a regular basis.  It sure doesn't work for us!
Brad here: It's actually really hilarious to discover how crazy our two boys sleep. They practically require a wall to prop up their arms and legs. Luke is especially crazy because for no reason he'll sit up suddenly and then tip over backwards where his legs used to be, he'll do these 180's 5 times or more a night.  Isaac really does flail his arms around, I woke up with him slapping my pillow and then later my face. Finally just pushed him out of reach (sorry amy).  Oh and we can't forget the occasional Rhino Head Butt that Isaac would surprise us with as we'd hear this BANG as he rammed into the bed head board.  Are all babies this crazy? Judging that Luke and Isaac are similar I'm guessing Isaac's slept this crazy all his life. Thank goodness we have him away in his own room so we can sleep in peace. . . Well at least so Amy can sleep in peace.  You see, I actually slept pretty good last night. Why? because I'm used to it. We all know where Luke and Isaac get their midnight kicking and whacking tendencies.  Maybe now Amy will believe me about how crazy she is :-)

Amy again:  Hey, Brad, you slept just fine because I was the one taking care of the baby. Your welcome for keeping the baby quiet so you could sleep.  :)  For the record, I am a very calm sleeper.  Brad's lying about the the kicking and whacking.

Anyways, last but not least, we decided to stop by at The Alamo before we drove home.  You can't go to San Antonio and not go right?  Especially if you've never been there.  Brad summed it up nicely by saying it was "San Antonio's Temple Square"  A few historical things to look at surrounded by beautiful gardens and pathways.  

This video is hilarious, as mentioned earlier Isaac got really mad at me for pushing the "up" button in the airplane.  Brad caught it on camera  :)




At the River Walk




Here Isaac gazes off at the Ferry boat/gondolas whatever they are that tour down the river walk past all the yummy smelling restaurants.


More River Walk
Look here! A temple with a big golden Moroni! Also there's 3 Incandescent street lights illuminating long-red wavelengths and the beautiful white moon which reflects the equally distributed broadband white wavelengths of the sun. (A Brad description)  :)
  The San Antonio temple had beautiful stained glass windows all over.


I love this little boy!

Our hotel had a Texas waffle maker!

Luke at Breakfast

And cute little Isaac

Six Flags!!!

I think Isaac's official favorite ride was the "choo choo" train

Merry Go Round
Our family in front of The Alamo


Oh yeah, and Luke likes to practice his standing up skills now!  If only he could have walked by the trip, they would have let him on a bunch more rides. 






1 comment:

valerie said...

One of the first vacations for you family. It's so nice to see the pictures and video's looked like lots of fun Love mom